Islah Academy was founded in 2014 by Imam Jihad Saafir and the South LA Muslim Community. Its purpose was to give the children in the Inner City a safe learning environment in which they could learn the Islamic principles and academic knowledge necessary to succeed in their growth. Islah Academy is a cutting-edge school in its implementation of Restorative Justice as a tool to break the School-to-Prison Pipeline.
Our mission to provide high-quality, culturally relevant and responsive curriculum is dedicated to preparing our children with extraordinary academic standards that promote moral character, cultivate 21st Century skill sets and produce scholars with strong commitment to social and civic responsibility.
Islah Academy aspires to be a community of life-long learners in an encouraging environment of success through Islamic instruction impacting positive change in the Los Angeles area.
What is a Microschool
Islah Academy is a Microschool, which is a form of schooling that offers students a personalized education and caters to a child’s unique needs and capabilities. Because the class sizes are small, students receive far more individualized attention than they would receive in a traditional school. Microschools are generally more affordable than private schools but can cater to a child’s specific needs better than public schools. Many students thrive in this type of education setting.
Schoolwide Learning Outcomes
Eight C’s of Character
- Consciousness: A state of being aware of Allah (God), self, and community.
- Compassion: Sympathetic concern for the situations of others.
- Consideration: Being deliberate and mindful of how one’s actions affect others.
- Courage: Ability in the face of adversity, to stand for principles in which you believe.
- Control: Having command over your desires and impulses. To abstain.
- Confidence: A feeling of self assurance that comes from one’s abilities and qualities.
- Consistency: Steadfast adherence to the same principles.
- Contribution/Service: Sharing and giving of one’s time or support
“The acquisition of knowledge is a duty incumbent on every Muslim, male and female.” -Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
Itqan - Islamic Curriculum
Itqan emphasizes character building lessons integrated with the Islamic sciences.
Children will be required to implement the theories learned in the classroom.
Traditional methods of memorization will be blended with contemporary and best-teaching practices.
Children will learn valuable Islamic principles that will help them to be well-rounded productive citizens of society.
Our Students Learn To Be:
- Strong in moral character
- Confident and self-aware
- Critical Thinkers
- Problem Solvers
- Concerned with community and social justice
- Globally Competitive